8/18/2005

The Brilliance of the DMV

I had to renew my license today which meant a dreaded trip to the epitome of government inefficiency, the DMV. When I checked in I asked the lady if I had enough time to run to Bojangles (which was about 1/4 mile away) while I was waiting. She said no, and that I would be skipped if I went. 45 minutes and a growling stomach later, I was called in to take my eye exam. I'm pretty sure I could have WALKED to Bojangles, paid the cashier in individual pennies, and eaten by biscuit via licking it during that time.

Then I took the sign test. The sign test is easy until you get to the signs WITH NO WORDS ON THEM! I guess it's common knowledge, but I didn't recognize any but the stop sign. The guy gave me clues though. One dialogue went as follows:

DMV guy: Ok, what is the next sign?
Me: Some kind of regulatory sign in the shape of a circle.
DMV guy: Ok, it appears at the intersection of a road and train tracks, and it warns you that there are train tracks. What sign is it?
Me: Train-crossing-street sign?
DMV guy: Close enough

No comments: